Our Guild is active on many levels within the broader community, working with schools, libraries and arts organizations. We also offer many opportunities for members to share their work and gain greater exposure. Examples of our community involvement include:
* Local Authors Bookshelf: The Elsie Quirk Library in Englewood has two dedicated shelves for local authors. Once one of our member’s books has been accepted, it is entered into the library system where patrons can discover their work.
* Local Author Book Displays: Our members have been afforded opportunities to promote their books through special displays at libraries in Venice and in Englewood. The next display will take place in November 2022 at the Frances T. Bourne Jacaranda Public Library in Venice.
* Writers on the Air, WKDW-FM 97.5: Our authors and poets read their work on the air and are offered an opportunity to promote their books. The show broadcasts live via its Facebook page on Tuesday evenings and is broadcast on the radio Sunday afternoons.
* Island Walk: Art in the Afternoon Program: Island Walk, a private community in Venice, FL, offers our members the chance to participate in their program. Artists create works of art; writers compose a story about the art piece and read it to a live audience.
* Venice Annual Book Fair: SWG hosts a table at this event, where visitors can learn more about our Guild, and our members have an opportunity to promote their books.
* Charlotte County edition of Florida Weekly Newspaper: Many of our authors participate in this newspaper's annual writing challenge, frequently winning awards. Read one of the award-winning stories, "Gonna Find Her."
* Artists and Poets Contest at the Englewood Art Center: Our poets compose a poem about works of art created by local artists. The winning poem is posted beside the artwork.
* Local fairs and festivals: Our guild participates in various fairs and festivals. Our Little Band of Writers has performed music at different venues. Some of our members have written and produced plays, while others wrote clues for the Lemon Bay Festival scavenger hunt.
* School Poetry Contests: To encourage young poets, we contribute financially to the Englewood Elementary School Poetry Contest and the Lemon Bay High School Poetry Shout Out. Our members also work as volunteers for the events.
* Denny Girard Youth Writing Contest: To support young writers, we are working with the Elsie Quirk Library to develop a youth contest, slated to launch in the spring of 2023.
* The Hermitage Artist Retreat: One of our members serves as a liaison to this organization, which hosts award-winning writers, musicians and authors.